My fellow Disc Golfers, ask not what your tournament can do for you, ask what you can do for your tournament.
We are only a week away from the largest event on the 2015 PDGA National Tour, the Memorial Championship. The local disc golf community has been hard at working preparing the three courses (Fountain Hills, Vista Del Camino, and Fiesta Lakes) for this amazing event. Now it’s time to double-down on our volunteer drive..
To ensure a world-class tournament experience we need to recruit an army of volunteers. Volunteers will earn $5/hour towards tournament merchandise.. and to sweeten the pot we have a little raffle prize. The Fountain Hills Disc Golf Club has donated a brand-spanking-new Mach Lite portable disc golf basket. All volunteers (regardless of course location) are eligible to earn raffle tickets. (more…)
Quick reference guide for the participants and observers of the 2015 Memorial Championship.. food & beverage recommendations, course layout maps, and directions.
Volunteers needed for the 2015 Memorial Championship presented by Discraft
The largest event on the PDGA National Tour is back and bigger than ever in 2015! The Memorial Championship presented by Discraft returns to Scottsdale & Fountain Hills Arizona for its 27th year – February 25th-28th, 2015. Oh yeah.. and this year Fiesta Lakes was added to the mix.
Putting on this large of an event is no joke. Ashley, Spinners, and others are working double-secret-probation-overtime to ensure the tournament is a world-class experience for the players and disc golf community.. and they need help. With the event less than two weeks away we need to fill the volunteer schedule as quickly as possible.
As a volunteer you will be assigned to one or more fulfilling, dangerous, and/or life-changing roles:
- Spotting Analysis and Vector Isolation Specialist: In this assignment you will employ hawk-like vision to track the trajectory of flying plastic. You will estimate the approximate vector where the disc left the playing field and transitioned to the dark side. You will mark the estimated point of sadness (where the disc went out of bounds) with a flag and offer a humble nod and/or positive encouragement to the disappointed thrower.
- Public Relations and Crowd Management Engineer: In this assignment you will combine the spirit of the friendly Wal-Mart greeter with the intuition and courage of Spiderman to create a safe, yet informative, experience for the visitors of Fountain Hills park. You will be stationed in the most dangerous positions imaginable on a disc golf course and your key operative is safety. Be prepared to answer common questions about the sport and remain alert at all times to sacrifice your body to prevent a disc from colliding with a civilian.
- Special Operations Expert: This is just a grunt job. You run around and fix signs.. do water runs.. etc. Honestly it’s kind of a bullshit job.. but there is a chance you can roll on the golf cart with my buddies Burns & Roach.. which is rad.
So what’s in it for you?
- FREE TOURNAMENT MERCHANDISE: You get $5 in credit for every hour logged.. credit used to redeem 2015 Memorial Championship merchandise.
- RESUME BUILDER: You can add to your resume “experience as a Spotting Analysis and Vector Isolation Specialist”. That’s powerful man.. sounds rad and is sure to impress a future employer (or maybe even help convince your current boss that you really deserve that raise).
- KARMA and STUFF: Regardless of your worldview.. you should get street cred, karma, blessings, etc. I mean.. if I was in charge, you’d definitely get special perks in the after-life.
- MEAT and PBR: If you put in at least 4 hours.. I’ll invite you into my Fountain Hills home on Friday evening, cook you a steak, grant you full access to a cooler full of PBR, and continually remind anyone that will listen what a bad ass you are.
Keep in mind.. volunteering for this tournament is like getting a backstage pass to see the best players in the world duke it out for a huge cash purse. I recently volunteered at the King of the Hills tournament.. the players were incredibly grateful and it was rewarding to know that I made their experience better.
How to sign-up?
- Shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or comment on Facebook. Please include the day(s) and time. We could use help from early morning to late afternoon on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
- Check out the official volunteer page: http://memorialchampionship.com/volunteers.php
- We will take any help we can get.. but hoping to get at least 4 hour commitments.
- Any questions? Email email@example.com, ask on Facebook, or shoot a message to the officials
Thank you in advance,
King of the Hills Disc Golf Tournament
Saturday, January 31st, 2015… the King of the Hills Disc Golf Tournament, presented by tournament director Rex Rogers and the FHDGC, is taking place in sunny Fountain Hills, Arizona at the “Pebble Beach” of disc golf courses. Thanks to the financial support of the local disc golf community and the Town of Fountain Hills, this single-day, two-round, PDGA sanctioned, B-tier event will offer the traditional Memorial Championship layout for Pros/Adv and a modified layout for Int/Beginners.
The Fountain HIlls Disc Golf Course features 24 DGA Mach X Disc Golf Baskets (the king of all baskets), round concrete tee-pads, & new color tee-signs. This course is no joke: long par 3s & 4s, high-risk water obstacles, and plenty of birdie opportunities for the seasoned pro (Paul McBeth scored -17 at the 2013 Memorial Championship).
$50 for AMs and $75 for Pros. All participants receive a 2015 FHDGC membership. Online registration is now available through discgolfscene.com. The ‘memorial warm-up’ tournaments tend to sell out.. so lock in your place today!
If you’d prefer to register via mail, download and print the mail-in flyer (or get a copy from Spinners) and send check/money order to Rex Rogers, 7660 E McKellips #30, Scottsdale AZ 85257.
Keep in touch by following the event on Facebook.
Support the course, newsletter, 2015 bagtag, discounts on FHDGC tournaments.